Our History  


 
 

Our Church History

 

God Almighty has truly blessed us as the body of Christ . . .

Fourteenth Avenue Missionary Baptist Church was founded in the spring of 1933 during a period of time known as the “Great Depression.” She was formed in the home of Will Walker, at such time, known as an “unchurched” man. In spite of the worldwide economic depression, God had a calling for a group of people in the city of Nashville. Its first pastor was the Rev. Edwin Hardison, and the church was named Hardison's Chapel. The first members were Maggie Chambers, Elizabeth Holder, Mattie Hardison Jones, Roxie Terrill, Grace McEwen, and Bessie Bennett. These ladies are known as the founding members.


In the fall of 1934, in the midst of the economic downturn, the church purchased a lot for $35 at 1930 14th Avenue, North. Under the leadership of Rev. Hardison, who served until 1936, the membership numbered between ten and twelve members. Rev. E. N. Dozier was the church's second pastor and served nine years until 1945. During that time, the church grew to approximately 50 members.  Also, during his tenure, the first choir was organized in 1936.


The Rev. Felton Price became the church's third pastor in 1945. Under Rev. Price's 28-year tenure, membership increased by approximately 500. Three new choirs were added, and two Usher Boards were organized. The members made numerous improvements to the church under the leadership of Rev. Felton Price.  A picture of Rev. Price hangs in the Fellowship Hall (which was named for him) at the sanctuary entrance in his memory and in his honor.


Rev. Daniel T. Smith, Sr., became the fourth pastor of Fourteenth Avenue following Rev. Felton Price's death in 1973. Under Rev. Smith's leadership the Inspirational, Youth and Sunbeam Choirs were organized. The Inspirational Choir produced its first album, the church purchased additional property on the corner of 14th Avenue and Cecelia Street (the debt on this property was retired in 1977), and Sister Jennie Pipkins (a member) willed her home and property to the church. Also, Mrs. R. H. Brock (Brock Family of Nashville) made a financial contribution to the church building fund through Mother Lena Emmons (mother of Sister Mary Price).


In September 1979, Rev. Frank S. Gordon, a graduate of Emmanuel Bible College in Nashville, and current pastor, became the church's fifth pastor. Under Rev. Gordon's leadership, our weekly Prayer Meeting and Bible Study was reinstated, organized a Junior Deacon Board, and additional musicians. The church joined with the Nashville City Missionary Baptist District Association, established a tutorial program, formed the Angelic Choir, and organized the Pastor's Guild and Nurse's Guild. In addition, the church purchased 2 ½ acres of property on Buchanan Street where the church currently stands today.

Our Scholarship Fund was established, a third Usher's Ministry was organized, the "Stairway to Heaven" broadcast began, the Male Chorus was organized, the church became a "Room in the Inn" Ministry partner, began The AfterSchool Program (TAP) as an annual summer enrichment program, opened a community clothing ministry, Fannie Hammonds "Teach Me" computer lab,  partnership with the Department of Children's Services Foster Care for outreach to families, implemented the Greeters Ministry, and New Members Class,  TAP was extended to  mentor school students Mondays thru Thursday evenings  and partnered with Vanderbilt and Tennessee State Universities focusing on literacy development with children in grades K-12.


Fourteenth Avenue’s affiliation with the National Baptist Convention of America International, Inc. (NBCA), has been blessed to serve in a servant’s capacity through its Foreign Mission Board by  funding the  construction of a church building in Ghana, West Africa; named  Fourteenth Avenue Missionary Baptist Church at Obasi, Ghana.


Old Time Tent Meetings, A High-Octane Love and Marriage Workshop conducted by Rev. Antonio Beckford, Pastor of the New Light Center, Nassau, Bahamas, Destination Graduation Ministry, which addresses the widening educational achievement gap of African American students by seeking to improve parents’ partnership with schools, Drama Department wrote and produced the production The Story of Jesus, Healthy Children, Healthy Families, Healthy Communities for Annual Back to School Fair, Annual Voices from the Garden Annual ceremonial luncheon honoring families of children lost to violence, Partnered with the Nashville Health Department as a COVID-19 vaccination site, Let’s Talk for Young Adults, FABulous Wellness Ministry, and the Sister-to-Sister Ministry hosted a fabulous  Mother/Daughter Tea

Our History


Fourteenth Avenue Missionary Baptist Church was founded in the spring of 1933 during a period of time known as the “Great Depression.” She was formed in the home of Will Walker, at such time, known as an “unchurched” man.

Latest News


Keep up with the latest news, events, and other information. 

Contact Us


2501 Buchanan Street
Nashville, TN 37208

By Phone: (615) 255-7167  Fax: (615) 255-0296

By Email: fourteenth@bellsouth.net