God Almighty has truly blessed us as the body of Christ . . .
Fourteenth Avenue Missionary Baptist Church was founded in the spring of 1933 during a period of time known as the “Great Depression.” She was formed in the home of Will Walker, at such time, known as an “unchurched” man. In spite of the worldwide economic depression, God had a calling for a group of people in the city of Nashville. Its first pastor was the Rev. Edwin Hardison, and the church was named Hardison's Chapel. The first members were Maggie Chambers, Elizabeth Holder, Mattie Hardison Jones, Roxie Terrill, Grace McEwen, and Bessie Bennett. These ladies are known as the founding members.
In the fall of 1934, in the midst of the economic downturn, the church purchased a lot for $35 at 1930 14th Avenue, North. Under the leadership of Rev. Hardison, who served until 1936, the membership numbered between ten and twelve members. Rev. E. N. Dozier was the church's second pastor and served nine years until 1945. During that time, the church grew to approximately 50 members. Also, during his tenure, the first choir was organized in 1936.
The Rev. Felton Price became the church's third pastor in 1945. Under Rev. Price's 28-year tenure, membership increased by approximately 500. Three new choirs were added, and two Usher Boards were organized. The members made numerous improvements to the church under the leadership of Rev. Felton Price. A picture of Rev. Price hangs in the Fellowship Hall (which was named for him) at the sanctuary entrance in his memory and in his honor.
Rev. Daniel T. Smith, Sr., became the fourth pastor of Fourteenth Avenue following Rev. Felton Price's death in 1973. Under Rev. Smith's leadership the Inspirational, Youth and Sunbeam Choirs were organized. The Inspirational Choir produced its first album, the church purchased additional property on the corner of 14th Avenue and Cecelia Street (the debt on this property was retired in 1977), and Sister Jennie Pipkins (a member) willed her home and property to the church. Also, Mrs. R. H. Brock (Brock Family of Nashville) made a financial contribution to the church building fund through Mother Lena Emmons (mother of Sister Mary Price).
In September 1979, Rev. Frank S. Gordon, a graduate of Emmanuel Bible College in Nashville, and current pastor, became the church's fifth pastor. Under Rev. Gordon's leadership, our weekly Prayer Meeting and Bible Study was reinstated, organized a Junior Deacon Board, and additional musicians. The church joined with the Nashville City Missionary Baptist District Association, established a tutorial program, formed the Angelic Choir, and organized the Pastor's Guild and Nurse's Guild. In addition, the church purchased 2 ½ acres of property on Buchanan Street where the church currently stands today.